Monday, August 4, 2008

Working in public..



Today I visited Federation square in Melbourne's CBD to take photos and sketch busy people which I love to do (to take back to the studio and paint). I came across Chor Boogie who is an artist from the US creating a piece on upright sheets of large plastic. This was wonderful to watch. To see people young and old, gather, watch Chor at work and ask questions was great and I think it's important to 'let them inside' sometimes. I have found when I have been working with people wondering into my studio, they often aren't sure what or how to comment about what you are doing, the moment you say something to them, something simple like "I really hate the orange" or "the composition is a bit off because.." they breathe a sigh of relief and open up. A lot of people love and admire artists and are really chuffed when you invite them into your world and make them feel comfortable giving their own thoughts and ideas. There should be more of it.

No comments: